I love this. I love it so much. I cannot tell you how much this one short piece of writing has influenced me. I can't remember where I read it, or who recommended it to me, or even when it was. It was a while ago. Before I had even played with the idea of becoming a teacher. It send my mind down avenues I didn't know existed, and introduced me to ideas that are now very much a part of who I am.
http://www.sustainer.org/pubs/Dancing.html (click on the link for the full article)
1. Get the beat.
2. Listen to the wisdom of the system.
3. Expose your mental models to the open air.
4. Stay humble. Stay a learner.
5. Honor and protect information.
6. Locate responsibility in the system.
7. Make feedback policies for feedback systems.
8. Pay attention to what is important, not just what is quantifiable.
9. Go for the good of the whole.
10. Expand time horizons.
11. Expand thought horizons.
12. Expand the boundary of caring.
13. Celebrate complexity.
14. Hold fast to the goal of goodness.